Back in January, I posted a poll, asking you whet you wanted to see in 2011. One of the commenters suggested meetups, and a couple of other readers emailed me directly asking for other ways for parents to network with one anther. It was clear to me even before then that parents want to talk to other parents about the process. Ask and ye shall receive! I have two big announcements:
EMAIL LIST! I have long felt that the power of this blog is not the strength of my personal opinion. I am just another parent. The real power is in the social aspect–parents sharing their experiences with other parents. To that end, we already have Facebook and Twitter presences for Philly School Search, and created a survey for parents to share what schools they have selected and why. Now, we’re happy to announce a new email list for parents seeking schools in Greater Philadelphia. Philly School Search Parents Discussion list (I know, not a very creative name). The hope is that parents in search of schools all across the city will use the list to bounce ideas off of one another, share opinions, network, and offer support. Sign up for the list to join in on the conversation.
MEETUPS! The second announcement takes that idea a step further: meeting face to face! I am thrilled to announce that I will be hosting two meetups in NW Philadelphia (hosted by the Treehouse Cafe) and Center City/Fairmount (hosted by Congregation Rodeph Shalom) for families of young children who are about to embark on the elementary school search. Come, learn a little bit about the process of choosing a school, and meet other parents in the same boat. Please join us–RSVP via Facebook is welcome to help us plan but not required! More information below….
Picking an Elementary School: Northwest Philly Germantown/Mount Airy/Chestnut Hill
RSVP Via Facebook
- Thursday, April 14, 5:30 PM
- Location: The Little Treehouse, 10 W. Gravers Lane, Chestnut Hill, PA 19118, email@example.com, Phone: 215.247.3637
- Cost: Free with paid admission for children, free play if dinner is purchased
- Description: Public, private, or charter? City or suburbs? What are my chances of a charter school? What should I look for when I visit a school? Len Lipkin, founder of the blog and information website PhillySchoolSearch.com, will lead a discussion with parents of young children on the topic of identifying, visiting, evaluating, applying for, and ultimately choosing a school for your child.
Picking an Elementary School: Center City/Fairmount Meetup
RSVP Via Facebook
- Wednesday, April 27, 6:00 pm
- Location: Congregation Rodeph Shalom, 615 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123, firstname.lastname@example.org • Phone: 215.627.6747
- Cost: $10
- Dinner: Pizza and salad will be served
- Description: Public, private, or charter? City or suburbs? What are my chances of a charter school? What should I look for when I visit a school? Len Lipkin, founder of the blog and information website PhillySchoolSearch.com, will lead a discussion with parents of young children on the topic of identifying, visiting, evaluating, applying for, and ultimately choosing a school for your child. Although the presentation will focus on schools in general, Rabbi Jill Maderer will also briefly discuss the school search in a Jewish context and the role of Jewish identity in your school choice.