Philly Mothers of Preschoolers invites you to their February EVENING meeting presenting ME!, Here’s the event description:
Len Lipkin, founder of the blog and information website PhillySchoolSearch.com, will lead a discussion
with parents of young children on the topic of identifying, visiting, evaluating, applying for,
and ultimately choosing a school for your child.
February 16th (please RSVP by 2/13/12)
7:30 – 9pm
3815 Terrace Street
SORRY NO CHILDCARE PROVIDED
More Info and how to RSVP…
Center School Parent Education Network Is Proud to Present
Raising a Child with Learning Differences:
An Evening of Support and Collaboration
Presented by Dr. Michael Cassano, Widener Child Therapy Clinic
With parent break-out groups facillitated by Dr. Cassano and his associates
Topics will include:
- Struggling with the fine line between helping and enabling
- Ways parents can best support their child
- Effective means of dealing with frustration and other challenging behaviors
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Time : 7:00
2450 Hamilton Avenue
Abington, PA 19001
Donation: $25 per person
For more information visit centerschoolpa.org
RSVP: Carol Wolf at 215-657-2200
Only 30 people will be able to participate each evening.
On Thursday October 27, I will be at Congregation Rodeph Shalom hosting a meetup for families of young children in Center City/Fairmount who are embarking on the elementary school search. Come, enjoy some pizza, learn a little bit about the process of choosing a school in Philly, and meet other parents in the same boat. Please join us–RSVP Via Facebook is welcome to help us plan but not required! More information below.
Picking an Elementary School: Center City/Fairmount Meetup
- Wednesday, October 27, 6:00 pm
- Location: Congregation Rodeph Shalom, 615 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123, email@example.com • Phone: 215.627.6747
- Cost: $10
- Dinner: Pizza and salad will be served
- Description: Public, private, or charter? City or suburbs? What are my chances of a charter school? What should I look for when I visit a school? Len Lipkin, founder of the blog and information website PhillySchoolSearch.com, will lead a discussion with parents of young children on the topic of identifying, visiting, evaluating, applying for, and ultimately choosing a school for your child. Although the presentation will focus on schools in general, Rabbi Jill Maderer will also briefly discuss the school search in a Jewish context and the role of Jewish identity in your school choice.
I will be speaking at the State of Young Philly Education event for Young Involved Philadelphia this Thursday night, October 6. The event is free, but you do have to reserve tickets online. Here’s the details:
Interested in getting more engaged in the Philadelphia education system as a parent or community member?
Have ideas for how we can foster educational innovation or collaboration? Frustrated by the current education system and want to be a part of an effort to reform the policy and political climate? Come join YIP for a discussion on the City’s educational priorities. Ensure that your voice is heard in the conversation around reforming the system by registering in advance to participate in one of three break-out conversations:
As young people make decisions about whether to stay in the City to raise families, the quality of neighborhood schools becomes an essential concern. This conversation will focus on strategies for engaging parents and communities in improving their local schools.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Too often, education advocates rely on the same set of limited reforms, rather than encouraging innovative solutions to complex problems. This conversation will focus on strategies for fostering a supportive entrepreneurial climate in the City.
Since Superintendent Ackerman’s departure, there has been a flurry of interest in the next superintendent and the direction of Philadelphia’s education system. This conversation will generate a set of priorities for the education system.
The Salvation Army Kroc Center
4200 Wissahickon Ave. 19129
Philadelphia, PA (Directions)
via State of Young Philly 2011 | Education.
There is a debate going on about the value of homework. I’ve talked about it before. Here’s a chance to join in on the discussion with WHYY and Newsworks.
RSVP: WHYY Parenting Series: Homework
When: Tuesday, September 13th, 2011: Homework
6:30 – 8:30 PM
Where: WHYY, 150 N. 6th Street in Philadelphia (map)
via Got homework? Join a public discussion about its impact on kids — NewsWorks.